Have fun this long weekend enjoying the fireworks. As beautiful as they may be, fireworks can be dangerous and scary for many. Never let a young child play with sparklers unattended. The stem gets really hot and the sparks fly off and can burn skin quite severely. Consider a glow stick instead for the very young. Make sure all fireworks are fire marshal-approved, and the person lighting the fireworks should wear fitted clothing, gloves and safety glasses. There should always be a water source nearby, such as a bucket or a hose.
Hearing loss is another common injury from fireworks, second to burns. Earplugs are a wise choice for anyone while watching fireworks. The sound can be very loud for children so ear mufflers are highly recommended. If ringing in your ears or muffled hearing persists more than 24 hours after, have your hearing checked.
The loud bang noises can often trigger a fight or flight effect in our fur babies. They may show signs of anxiety by panting, shaking or hiding. It is best to keep your dog inside, try a calming wrap and try to desensitize them with treats. Plan to take them out for an early potty break so that you don't need to go out during the loud noises in the neighbourhood.
**Please note: The August Civic Holiday is not a designated fireworks day and residents are not permitted to set off fireworks on their property unless they have obtained a permit from Toronto Fire Services. Fireworks are not permitted in City parks or on beaches, balconies, streets, parking lots or other private property. If you want to see fireworks you must attend locations where they have been permitted such as Canadas Wonderland and Niagra Falls Fireworks Display
Have Fun, Be safe
Happy Long Weekend from the Innovation Dental Team
Your request has been submitted. We will contact you shortly.